"Middle children have remarkable diplomatic skills."

-The Secret Power of Middle Children, by Catherine Salmon

Friday, June 1, 2012

He planted a seed in the '60's...

I've been going through boxes of old pictures and family history looking for something (anything) that might have my blood type information on it. It's crazy how the littlest bits of the puzzle can stop up the whole mission application process. While I was digging through the boxes (you should see my art room, Holy Cow!), I came across my mom's Certificate of Baptism and Confirmation, dated March 22, 1964. My mother was a convert to the Church, and she went into the waters of baptism while she was 8 months pregnant with my youngest sister. The certificate says that her baptism was performed by John Lyman Sadlier. I have often wondered about the Elders who taught and then baptized my mom. Would they know what a profound difference they made in her life and in generations after her? Because of two Elders serving in the Hawaii, Honolulu mission, I am preparing to serve a mission with my husband, 48 years later. I had to know if "Elder" Sadlier was still alive so I could thank him. With the help of the Internet, I looked up and found five people with his name. Figuring he now had to be between 67 and 69 years old helped me narrow it down to one. I got brave and dialed the number. A woman answered the phone. I asked to speak to John Sadlier. The woman on the other end said he wasn't in the office, "could she take a message?" Like the dork that I can sometimes be, I said this wasn't a business call it was more personal in nature. Realizing what that might have sounded like even as the words were leaving my mouth, I quickly asked, "Is this his wife?" I really should have brushed up on my "woman finding old missionary who baptized mom", etiquette. Sheesh! Anyway, after awkwardly explaining who I was, and extracting from her that her husband did, indeed, serve a mission to Hawaii in the 60's, we had a nice conversation and she couldn't have been more gracious. I gave her my cell number and she said she would be excited (probably relieved is more like it) to give him the message and let him know everything we had talked about. Going directly down my line...My mom was baptized, I was baptized, my mother's grand daughter was baptized and now at the end of this month, my mother's great-grand daughter will be baptized. Thank you Elder Sadlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment