"Middle children have remarkable diplomatic skills."

-The Secret Power of Middle Children, by Catherine Salmon

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

fall

It was kind of a blustery day out today. The kind of weather that makes you want to stay inside curled up in a comfy chair with a cup of cocoa and the newest issue of any design magazine. But I was out doing errands and as I drove home from Trader Joe's, a gust of wind picked up the leaves and swirled them across the road. It was really pretty. I think I love fall not only for it's present beauty, but for fond memories from the past, like:
  • school starting
  • butterflies in my tummy for the first day of school (I still had those for my kids first day)
  • the smell of the furnace kicking on for the first time
  • leaves changing in the mountains
  • finding the prettiest leaves to take to school
  • shopping for new school clothes
  • the waxy smell of a new box of crayons
  • football games
  • shopping for a Homecoming dress
  • my first kiss
  • bon fires
  • trick or treating
  • sorting out Halloween candy in piles from best (Milky Way bars) to ickiest (root beer barrels)
  • getting a new tray of Prang watercolors at school
  • my mom making oatmeal in the morning
  • the smell of chocolate drop cookies baking when I came home from school
  • the sound and smell of school buses passing
  • the "regular-ness" of knowing the seasons will fall into place
  • the crispness of the air
  • watching the World Series on TV
  • not knowing who's in the World Series, but being with your friends so it didn't matter
  • wearing sweaters
  • ...and boots
  • the cool mornings when you wear a sweater and the warm afternoons that you wish you hadn't
  • the crunchy sound of leaves under your feet
  • making caramel apples
  • The ward fall bazaar
  • That last really warm day that you can be outside having a picnic
What are some of your fall memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment