"Middle children have remarkable diplomatic skills."

-The Secret Power of Middle Children, by Catherine Salmon

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Wanna Play? Pt.2

This is a follow up to my 'Wanna play?' post.
There is a house at the end of my block that has been vacant for a couple of months. A few weeks ago I noticed that the 'For Sale' sign read 'SOLD' across the top. I haven't seen anyone moving in yet, but last night I saw some flood lights in the front room of the house, like maybe they were painting. So I frosted a plate of cookies and enlisted my favorite playmate Ron, to go over there with me. Ok, so I'm a little shy nervous chicken to go alone...there's safety in numbers. We knocked on the door and a woman answered, with a "who are you and what do you want?" look. We introduced ourselves and told her where we live. She then felt comfortable enough to tell us that she didn't live there, it was her parents who would be moving into the house soon. She also let us know she was wary of answering the door at night, when she was alone. We let her know we were happy to have her parents in our neighborhood, and we'd watch out for them. Then we gave her the plate of cookies and said goodnight...Okay, so we didn't ask her to "come out and play". But we did knock on her door, and she was a stranger. And I learned an important lesson... it's much easier to approach strangers if you have a plate of cookies in your hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment