"Middle children have remarkable diplomatic skills."

-The Secret Power of Middle Children, by Catherine Salmon

Friday, October 28, 2011

Wanna play?

Remember when you were a kid and you could just randomly knock on someones door and ask if they wanted to come out and play? What if we as adults, did that? What if we just randomly saw someone we didn't know drive down the street and pull into their garage, and we followed them...knocked on their door and introduced ourselves. I'm curious what that person would think...or do. I lived in Utah all of my adult life, and I think it's pretty safe to say that 99% of the time the "stranger" you'd pick there to do this social experiment on would either be in your congregation, be related to you, or at the very least know someone that you know. I had a bit of a culture shock when I moved to the Pacific Northwest just over nine months ago. Our ward boundaries are measured in sq. miles not sq. blocks. A "concentration" of LDS people consist of 10 families in a subdivision.  It's strange to go to the grocery store and see aisles and aisles of wine and other alcoholic beverages. Kids play soccer and Little League games on Sunday. If one doesn't have a gardener, it's not uncommon to see that person mowing their lawn on Sunday. (apparently gardeners keep the Sabbath day holy) Yep, we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto! That being said, I absolutely love living here! The scenery is magnificent...the flowers, the trees...beautiful! The temperature in the summer is perfect. It doesn't snow a ton in the winter (it's kinda fake snow...it melts pretty fast) and I never have to shovel rain. The people here are wonderful...friendly, loving, and inclusive. So getting back to the beginning of this long and windy road of a post, I think I'm going to make a new friend today...or maybe scare the bajeebers outta somebody. I'm going to knock on someone's door and ask if they wanna come out and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment