"Middle children have remarkable diplomatic skills."

-The Secret Power of Middle Children, by Catherine Salmon

Monday, January 9, 2012

Give a little, gain so much more in return

You know when you do something for someone else and you end up getting more in return? This past weekend was like that. It was Helen and Cecil Talbot's 60th wedding anniversary. The Talbot's are Ron's first wife's parents. Ron was concerned that with first Kathy gone, her brothers wouldn't be planning anything in the way of a celebration, so he started planning and asked if I'd mind helping. Mind? I love this kind of event, and I have come to know and love Helen and Cecil. They have been very kind and loving to me. Of course I wouldn't mind! Decorating I know. Food for large groups I'm not as comfortable with. And not knowing exactly the number of people who would show didn't make it any easier. So I took it to the Lord. Now I know that Heavenly Father doesn't really care if I'm serving meatballs in gravy, or meatballs in barbeque sauce. But I do know that Heavenly Father loves his children, expecially chosen ones who have valiantly served Him, and have been married for 60 years. I prayed that there would be a good turn out of friends, that there would be enough food and that the Talbots would know how much they are loved. Prayers are answered. Coincidentally, yesterday was Ron and my first anniversary. To be able to do the celebration for the Talbots, and see how happy they were, was the best gift Ron and I could have given ourselves. Heavenly Father never ceases to amaze!
The happy couple, Cecil and Helen Talbot.
The night before, us girls hosted a "bridal shower" for grandma!
And the guys had a "bachelor party" for grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment