"Middle children have remarkable diplomatic skills."

-The Secret Power of Middle Children, by Catherine Salmon

Friday, January 20, 2012

OK, I cry 'UNCLE'!

I'll be the first to admit that I have mocked many Washingtonians (is that a word?) for being such scaredy cats of a little snow. Calling snow-days at the schools when there is barely a skiff of snow on the ground and it's melted before first recess. I lived most of my youth in Utah, and we walked to school in 3 ft. drifts...uphill...both ways...barefoot! Ok, maybe not barefoot. But it snowed a lot when I was a kid, and we just carried on. This week I showed you the pictures of our beautiful culdesac covered in a fresh blanket of newly fallen snow, so pretty...see the happy pine tree in the upper middle?
HA! Well the wicked step-sister of mother nature has reared her ugly head, and she is called ICE! See how sad that same pine tree is now?
Most of the trees in our neighborhood have suffered damage. The yellow circles indicate breakage, and the red arrows indicate the broken limbs. The green color indicates the only trees on our street which didn't sustain any damage, because their gardener chopped the heck out of them last fall. Hmmm...maybe THAT's the ancient Chinese secret!
Our sad tree in front has broken off onto the street and onto the second terrace of the yard. Our power went out for a little while during the night, but our house stayed pretty warm. Ooh I hear the garbage truck coming, I want to watch him do the 'Ice Capades' down our street!

No comments:

Post a Comment