"Middle children have remarkable diplomatic skills."

-The Secret Power of Middle Children, by Catherine Salmon

Thursday, May 24, 2012

The color green, in all its many hues, tints and shades is my favorite of all the colors in the rainbow. My love affair with this luxuriant pigment, may have stemmed from the time Christine Emery's mother took us to the Dole Pineapple factory and let us pick out a little treasure to take home with us. We were six, and Christine was mean, bossy, "assertive" by nurture, and she chose name tags for both of us...not really what I would have chosen, but I learned at an early age not to look a gift name tag in the mouth..err whatever. Christine's name tag was red and my name tag was green...and did you get the part where I said they were NAME tags? Well, Christine decided she wanted the green one and I should have the red one. Now I'm no rocket scientist, but shouldn't I have the one that says Kathy, seeing as though that's my name?? I remember looking at her mother thinking, aren't you going to intervene here? When Mrs. Emery figured out what little Miss Bossy Pants was up to, she made Christine give me the green name tag that read "Kathy", and that tipped Christine's apple cart...or should I say pineapple cart...such weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth the likes of which Polynesians hadn't witnessed previously or since. Having won that little victory may have been what started my prodigious liking for the color green. Isn't it weird that I would remember that story? The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment