"Middle children have remarkable diplomatic skills."

-The Secret Power of Middle Children, by Catherine Salmon

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Lesson learned...eventually.................. (part 2: Y.D.P.O.M.K.)

...so I got a note left on my car at the grocery store asking me to "try to stay in the lines. Thx!!" At first I was annoyed that someone would take the time to write it, after all, there were other stalls to park in. I figured it was an older person, because a younger person would surely have taken the opportunity to be much more snarky in his note. And I was guessing that it was probably a man, judging by the masculine handwriting...I mean, get a life people! Then as I drove out of the parking lot, still on my quest for the item for my object lesson, it occured to me that I was in the wrong here. I had taken up more than my share of a parking space with my big ol' tuna boat of a vehicle. And this person who left me the note really could have been "snarky" or rude, but instead left it as a little reminder and even wrote Thx (thanks) with the two exclamation points after the thx. No confrontation, just six little words ending in thanks. Wow, I got called out on my lousy parking job, and I deserved it. In retrospect, because I was there to pick up something for my primary girls for our activity on the scriptures, I was a little surprised at my not so righteous reaction to the note. Is this the attitude of a Latter Day Saint? It got me thinking...I wonder how many times Heavenly Father has sent us me little messages asking imploring us me to "stay in the lines". Then I wonder what my attitude has been. Annoyance,(un)righteous indignation, or humility? I'm keeping that little post-it note in my art room right above my computer...just as a reminder to "try to stay in the lines."

No comments:

Post a Comment